While we were looking for inspirations and topics we could post, we stumbled upon this nursery rhyme that encourages children to eat healthy: (courtesy of Dr. Mumoli and the Journal of Emergency Medicine):
“Apple in the morning – doctor’s warning;
Roast apple at night – starves the doctor outright;
Eat an apple going to bed – knock the doctor on the head;
Three each day, seven days a week – ruddy apple, ruddy cheek.”
Naturally, we had to find out what does the scientific world think of the health benefits of the apple, and how could we make it into an awesome desert (that won’t break our eating regime, but be delicious). So read on to get inspired, and stay healthy and beautiful.
- Apples contain dietary fibre: by eating apples we lower the blood sugar levels and curb the cravings for something sweet (they lower the glucose levels in the blood).
- Apples contain polyphenols: these compounds are important anti-oxidants that help our body to regulate and prevent diseases such as high cholesterol and diabetes.
- Apples help with the prevention of tooth decay and plaque formation: studies suggest that eating apples on a regular basis is used to clean teeth and kill bacteria in the mouth.
- Apples are low in calories: and this is why a lot of diets and regimes recommend snacking on apples. They don’t tip the scale, and in combination with their fiber content could help in maintaining a healthy weight.
With this last tip we present our ode to the healthiest apple desert we could think of:
Makes 6 servings
- 6 medium green apples (Granny Smith, or any other crispy apple that you love to eat)
- 1 ½ tbsp. tightly packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. chopped almonds
- 1 tbsp. rye oatmeal
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Peel and core the apples. Make a 1.5 inch hole in each apple.
- Mix the sugar, almonds and oatmeal in a bowl.
- Line a small baking pan with parchment paper and place the apples. Pack the dry ingredients in each apple, and fill it to the top.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until apples are slightly softened.
- Serve warm and enjoy.
And as always,
Be happy, be beautiful.