Some days we crave the crunchy. And the baked apples are okay, but what we really really need is a bowl of chips. So if you are like us, and have an apple and some time to spare, why not make apple chips. The recipe is very easy and needs only two ingredients. Each time we make it, we overcome the great urge to cave in and pop open that bag of potato chips we have saved for those “just in case” moments. And this has kept us going potato-free for three whole months.
Try this recipe, post your comments and as always
Be happy, be beautiful.
Baked Apple Chips
Makes 2 cups of chips
- 1 medium apple
- 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon divided
- Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- Slice the apple in half and core the insides, making sure that all pips are removed.
- Thinly slice each apple half either with a mandolin (please watch your fingers when you’re doing this) or with a knife.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Layer the sliced apple pieces, making sure they don’t crowd each other.
- Sprinkle half the cinnamon on one side and put in oven.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes. When the timer dings, take the sheet out of the oven, flip the chips and sprinkle the remaining cinnamon over them.
- Bake for another 40 minutes, or until they crisp up. What we like to do is to turn the heat off, and leave the chips in the oven until they are cool to the touch.
- You can eat them immediately, or store them in an airtight container to save for later (we never get to do this, because we devour them while watching a Star Trek marathon).